Sioux Falls Regional Airport (IATA: FSD, ICAO: KFSD, FAA LID: FSD), also known as Joe Foss Field, was named in honor of native aviator Joe Foss.
The airport was constructed on the same place it was located now in 1937. During the World War II, in 1942, the airport and the surrounding property have become the Sioux Falls Army Air Base that was responsible for the establishment of a radio operator training facility. Notably, between 1942 and 1945, the Sioux Falls Army Air Base has successfully trained about 40.000 radio operators.
The base has also had the role of the logistical supply center. Nowadays, the grid of streets keying around the airport conclude the central industrial area south of the present airport.
In 1946, the airport and its surrounding area were moved back to the city, and the South Dakota Air National Guard has started being lead by the United States Marine Corps major and the leading Marine fighter ace in a World War II Joe Foss.
In 2005, the Sioux Falls Regional Airport became the first airport in the country that de-federalized its workforce.